Chinese Website Translation Basics
October 30, 2012
China has the largest population in the world. Its online market growth is number one in the world as well. Even though there may be some challenges with Chinese website localization (which content management system to use, which translation agencies, who in your company can drive the project), it is the only way to open up opportunities to increase your company's global revenues by capturing more of the Chinese markets around the world.
Internet in China
In China alone, the population is over 1.3 billion. If you include overseas Chinese population and people in Taiwan, the number reaches to almost 2 billion. According to the report from CHINA DAILY, China's Internet users hit 538 million. In the first half of 2012, the number of internet users increased by 25 million and the number will keep growing. China's internet users alone equal the population of the United States and Brazil combined.
Due to language and cultural complexities, there are many critical considerations to review before localizing your website or content for Chinese Consumers. GPI has produced a more comprehensive Chinese Globalization White Paper that covers these issues in depth.
Mandarin and Cantonese are the main SPOKEN Chinese languages. But there are numerous dialects spoken in different regions/provinces in China. In terms of modern WRITTEN Chinese, there are Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. For more information on Chinese languages, please see Chinese Translation Services: Simplified versus Traditional Chinese.
You can also listen to a Mandarin sample here.
Chinese Website Translation Basic Steps
There are 16 basic steps in a Chinese Website Localization Project:
- Website Translation Strategy including Content Management System review and workflows
- Source File Review
- Project Kick-off
- Subject Matter Training and Research
- Chinese Glossary Development
- Initial Chinese Search Engine Optimization of content
- Chinese Cultural Correctness Assessment
- Chinese Translation Editing and Proofreading
- Chinese Localization of all Graphics
- Formatting of Chinese Documents from the website
- Chinese Localization of any Multimedia
- SEO and Internet Marketing
- Website QA/Testing
- Delivery to Client
- Final Edits and Archiving of Files
- Ongoing Chinese SEO and Internet Marketing
For more detailed information on Chinese Website Translation, please see Translation Services.
Chinese Website Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Basic Steps
The search engines in Taiwan include Google, Yahoo and Bing that are commonly used in the Western World. For China, Baidu is the single most important search engine. For more information on Baidu, please refer to our blog: China: Land of Search Engines, Search Marketing and Social Media
Chinese Search Engine Marketing Services may include:
- Comprehensive website translation and localization
- Multilingual keyword phrase research, refinement and localization
- Multilingual Search Engine Optimization and copy writing of main site content
- Multilingual Search Engine Optimization of meta-tags, titles, alt-tags, heading tags, HTML, etc.
- Submissions to major locale (in-country) and international Search Engines
- Website traffic and keywords ranking reporting
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) campaign content localization
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC) country-specific campaign management
Further resources on website translation and global SEO
You may gain further insights into multilingual websites considerations, global SEO and related topics by reviewing previous blogs written by GPI:
- Website Globalization and E-Business - China
- Chinese Website Translation
- China: Land of Search Engines, Search Marketing and Social Media
- Doing Business via the WWW in China
GPI's content strategists and localization team will conduct your multilingual website analysis and localization requirements. GPI also offers Global Search Engine Marketing Services and many other Website Translation Services.
Currently, there are no comments. Be the first to post one!
Heba Nady - Global Client Services Manager
Hebatullah Mahmoud Nady (Heba) is a native Arabic speaker who lives in Cairo, Egypt. She has 11 years of experience in client relations and project management, working in different industries, such as publishing, oil and gas and foremost translation and localization. Heba holds a B.A. degree in English Language and Literature from Ain Shams University, and has a great passion for language and culture. She has been actively managing many localization and translation projects for major clients since 2008 and is well versed in a wide range of localization tools and practices. Heba enjoys working with teams from different cultures and bringing people together to achieve a common goal. For her translation is a mission that contributes to enriching Arabic and other cultures and languages. In her free time, Heba likes to read about literature and management, and go site-seeing.