Global eCommerce a Hot Topic at Internet Retailer 2013
June 11, 2013
Globalization Partners International exhibited at the Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition in Chicago, IL June 4-7, 2013 and hosted booth #667. Internet Retailer is the world's largest e-commerce event showcasing the latest e-commerce practices and technologies.
There were 100-plus conference sessions and more than 600 exhibits of e-commerce solutions providers at the show. GPI professionals in attendance included:
- Daniela Bustamante - Global Account Services Manager
- Peter Betts - Director Global Accounts
- Martin Spethman - Managing Partner
The keynote speaker was Hiroshi Mikitani, Chairman and CEO of Rakuten. Rakuten is Japan's largest online shopping mall with the 3rd largest B2C online marketplace in the world. They have over 100 million items for sale and $14 billion in sales.
The special guest speaker was former Vice President and current Director at Apple and Senior Advisor with Google, Al Gore. He gave a funny and interesting presentation about the internet and the worldwide opportunities with global ecommerce. He emphasized as one of his main pieces of advice to "go global"!
The conference had a great Global E-Retailing Track with sessions that among others included:
- "Marketing in a foreign country: What you can and can't transfer from the US" by Aaron Magness, VP Marketing Coastal Contacts.
- "Strategic planning: Equipping your business for e-commerce abroad" by Mitch Goldstone, President/CEO at ScanMyPhotos.com.
- "EBay explores what's next for e-commerce in emerging markets" by Wendy Jones VP-Geographic Expansion and Cross Border Trade.
In addition to raffling off a Bose headset to lucky visitors to our booth, we were promoting copies of Nitish Singh's book "Localization Strategies for Global E-Business" from Cambridge University Press. Professor Singh, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of International Business at Boeing Institute of International Business at Saint Louis University. His educational efforts in the field of localization have been supported by US Department of Education, CSU, Google, HP, IBM, Microsoft and other companies. GPI has collaborated over the years with Professor Singh on various projects and research reports including a series on website globalization and e-Business available for free download on GPI's website at Website Globalization and E-Business Series. GPI was honored to contribute content and case studies for Localization Strategies for Global E-Business which includes topics ranging from website translation to utilizing web content management systems to publish multilingual websites.
GPI has recently expanded our eCommerce website translation teams and services to include:
- Country specific research and reports on market selection and entry
- Website cultural correctness and customizations review and reports
- Translation Services Connectors for CMS and eCommerce platforms
- Translation and localization services for online/offline content
- Global Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Global Search Engine Advertising (SEA)
- Country specific Social Media Localization
See also our press release: eCommerce Website Translation Practice expands to help online retailers sell worldwide
Further GPI Resources on Website Translation, Global SEO and eCommerce Translation Services
You may also find some of the following articles and links useful:
- GPI at Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition #IRCE
- Planning a Website Localization Project? Where do I start?
- Localization Strategy for Global E-Retailers
- Website Translation: 14 Steps to an effective worldwide website
- Selecting the Right CMS to Manage International Websites
- Website Translation and Localization Strategies: featured subjects in book from Nitish Singh
Further Information on Localization Resources
Globalization Partners International (GPI) frequently assists customers with multilingual website design, development and deployment, and has developed a suite of globalization tools to help you achieve your multilingual website localization project goals. Please see the Translation tools and Portals section of our website.
For more information or help with your next website translation project, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail at email@example.com, or by phone at (866) 272-5874, or by requesting a free web translation quote for your next website translation project.
Currently, there are no comments. Be the first to post one!
Peter Betts - Director, Global Accounts
Peter has over 18 years’ experience in business development within the localization industry supporting clients for documentation, software and website globalization services. He started his career in the translation industry in 1995 and over the years has worked for several leading localization service providers including LMI, Berlitz, Welocalize, GPI and Beyondsoft. Throughout his career Peter has led by example and always put his clients’ needs first to ensure client expectations are understood and successfully met. Over the years Peter has trained extensively in Solution Selling, Action Selling and Localization Sales, Testing and Project Management. Peter handles many of GPI’s global accounts helping educate clients on GPI’s comprehensive suite of globalization services and industry best practices.