Sitecore – Exporting & Importing content for Localization
September 18, 2012
Congrats to our CMS partner Sitecore for being recognized as a Visionary in the 2012 Magic Quadrant for Web Content Managements Report from Gartner. The report states, "Sitecore usability remains strong in relation to challenging issues such as multilingual and multichannel requirements".
This is the Part 2 (of 3) on a Multi-Language Sites in Sitecore CMS series. In this part I will discuss how you can export content from your Sitecore website to be sent for translation and import the translated content back into the system.
Accessing Sitecore Globalization Tools
1) Login into Sitecore Desktop
2) Click the Sitecore start button
3) Click the Control Panel button
4) Click the Globalization button
Exporting content for translation in Sitecore
1) Choose the Export Languages to a File option
2) Select the Source language(s) to export
3) Click the Next button
4) Select the root node from which to export content
5) Select the Next button
6) Provide a name of the output file which will contain the exported content
7) Optionally choose the location of the language file being exported
8) Click the Next button
9) Click the download button, to retrieve the language file
10) Click the Finish button to close the dialog
Importing the translated content back into Sitecore
1) Choose the Import Languages to a File option
2) Provide the name of the language file
3) Optionally chose the location of the language file
4) Click the Next button
5) Choose the languages to import from the translation file
6) Click the Next button
7) Confirm your import selection information and choose the Next button
8) Click the Finish button after the import has completed
Please make sure to read Part Three in the Sitecore Website Translation series entitled "Sitecore - Adopting the Right Approach to Language Translation".
Further GPI Resources on Connectors and Website Development
GPI offers custom CMS Translation Connectors to a variety of web content management systems in order to streamline localization workflows and access to translation project information across your enterprise. You may also find some of the following articles and links useful:
- Multilingual Websites in Sitecore
- Sitecore Website Translation Connector
- Sitecore - Adopting the Right Approach to Language Translation
- Sitecore - Exporting & Importing content for Localization
- Multilingual Website Development and Deployment
- CMS driven Globalized Website Project (slideshare presentation)
Further Information on Localization Resources
Globalization Partners International (GPI) frequently assists customers with multilingual website design, development and deployment, and has developed a suite of globalization tools to help you achieve your multilingual website localization project goals. You can explore them under the Translation tools and Portals section of our website.
For more information or help with you next website translation project, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail at email@example.com, or by phone at (866) 272-5874, or by requesting a free website translation quote on your next website translation project.